Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Academic growth

Last night I started to study for exams, which consisted of picking up the first book we read in the English 1 course and reading it all over again. The name of the book is Christopher Marlowe’s “Dr Faustus”, which is a foggy memory from the past. So at present I cannot give an accurate description of the book or my feelings toward it but I did come to a very satisfactory realisation after reading the introduction. The one thing I do remember about this play is that, it being the first university text, I struggled with the new terminology and academic language and with every new text I still feel like I struggle to navigate myself through the mass of fancy terminology. But last night after I put Dr Faustus down I smiled at the realisation at how much I have grown academically because all of a sudden I understood the academic language and I can even take it so far as to say that I felt like I was reading a silly matric text. First year really does break you down especially if you did very well in high school. You feel like each piece of university work that is thrown is just added to the whirlwind of knowledge that you just cannot grasp. But then you have a moment like I had last night when you realise how much you have grown, how much your brain has expanded and finally you are presented with the very rewarding reality that you actually have not wasted you year, which is the oompf! you need to get through the final exams.

No comments: