Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My toe-phobia


My toes are the part of my body that I would happily donate to science, right away! When I dress in the morning I close my eyes when I put on my shoes and any time they are exposed I try to dig them into sand, cement or tile floors in an attempt to conceal them. I had to have an operation on my right foot so it has a lovely scar running alone the side and that foot always looks bigger than the other. As you can guess, I am not a lover of sandals because to me it is the equivalent of walking around naked, with all the funny body bits exposed. But it is beautiful Rhodes in beautiful summer and everyone is prancing around in glittering sandals, so I decided to go out and buy some sandals and overcome my fear. I am also positive that I speak for many students who suffer from the similar toe-phobia. Like many fears, this one is also so stupid because after sheepishly walking around in my new sandals I realised that my toes are the same as everyone else’s i.e. there are five of them and they are attached to the end of the foot and that absolutely no-one is looking at them. There really is no “toe detective” walking around Rhodes and recording who has nice feet and who does not. It is embarrassing how we think everyone’s attention is focused on us, which is what keeps us locked in our rooms or breaking our toes in a silly attempt to hide them underneath the concrete. So three days into the week, I am happily skipping along in my new found freedom and loving it!

No comments: