Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Timeless wisdom

Our knowledge as students or as qualified academics is frustratingly limited from within and without. I desire to learn more about what we are taught and I want to take up a subject like Classics next year and explore the secrets of the past. But as I stand looking at an ancient Greek building, my desire freezes because I know that no matter how deep I dive into the depths, I will never reach the bottom, never be satisfied because it is a time past and its loss is so exasperating. It is similar to wanting to know about the future o even the present, to think about globalisation and what it will do to our world, but there is no way to ever fully know. It is the end of the academic year and I feel that I have barley scraped the surface. Panic stricken I start throwing the clothes of my mind from its cupboards, shoving my head into spaces that I feel still need to be filled. Then shutting the doors and staring wildly around for more time because there is so much to know but time will not allow it. A friend explained that time in our lives, represents a whirlwind and each circular motion represents a year. As children, time is the wide open mouth and it feels as if it takes forever to complete the circle but as we age time forms closer rings that slip away faster and faster and faster until…nothing. The only consolation for these limitations is that we are not meant to fully understand and this ignorance is probably bliss and wisdom comes in knowing that knowledge is as fickle as time. Besides, in the end wisdom is timeless, so that should be our main pursuit.

No comments: