Sunday, October 12, 2008

How things have changed

Every time that I visit my family back in Port Elizabeth, we sit in the garden and I fill them in on entertaining details about university life and on every occasion my godmother and mother are both shocked at how things have changed. I mentioned in a previous blog, “Rhodes pool full of fully-clothed Rhodents”, that my godmother, an ex-Rhodent herself, used to swim in the pool alone at 10 at night, with no worries in the world. In fact it was extremely relaxing and she recommended that I do it too. Of course we all know that it is suicide of some form to expose yourself so openly to crime. Of course safety has changed from then to now but another issue that fascinates these ex-Rodents is that of talking during lectures. Although they drank just as much as we do and were hanging just as happily, my godmother explained that it did not once cross their minds to talk; it was just not the done thing. Another incident is the bitch fights that happen at our residence. I, too have had some troubles with some of my residence friends and still blush when I think of how childish all of us were. There were many other “bitch fights” that went on throughout the year and when I would report back on these, god mommy stated that there was never such immaturity while she was at Rhodes. The list continues and their jaws continue to drop and I continue to cringe under their worrying stares because I am part of this generation and one student’s action is reflected onto a global stage and we are cloaked in its stereotype.

No comments: