Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Save the sweetness of home for a rainy day


This is a slightly delayed blog considering that the weekend has already passed. This is also not about what happened n the weekend because it has nothing to do with Rhodes as I did no work at all but more to do with the risks of going home as regularly as I do. I had successfully stayed at Rhodes for two whole weeks and one weekend and it was high time to get out of here. So I once again skipped town as soon as the last “school bell” rang with the excuse that I needed to fetch my camera charger so that I could take photographs for this blog even though I knew that it was not a necessity. I even missed the glamorous hall ball but I blame my absence on the fear of not being able to fit into my matric dance dress. So dress hanging abandoned in my cupboard I went home and spent a lovely weekend with the family and the boyfriend and felt confident that I would handle the departure with no upsets because the last weeks at Rhodes had been great and I felt happy about everything. I was to take the bus early Monday morning to be in time for my lectures and tutorials but as soon as 6am reared its ugly head and ripped me from my mothers warm arms, I was back at sobbing square one. Not to mention the irritating fact that the bus came late so I ended up missing most of my lectures and a tutorial. Back at res I felt the same sadness and lack of motivation to function on any level because as any student will discover, Rhodes is plain crappy compared to your other life, which is why we should not subject ourselves to the constant comparison that leaves us dishevelled and depressed. Stick it out for the whole term or at least half and savour the sweetness of home for a truly rainy day.

No comments: